[tlug] Re: bad screen setting

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 12:09:08PM +0000, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> At the boot prompt (probably GRUB, unless you chose to install
> LILO) type linux single.  This will, as you might expect,
> boot you into single user mode.
>
> Then you need to run /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 -configure
>
> That will set up a basic X config file.  If for any reason
> it doesn't work, use /usr/X11R6/bin/xf86config (but the
> first method is now preferred, so try that first).

One point on this with RH?  I believe that at the end, it'll say, Shall
I write this configuration to /etc/X11/XF86Config?  Choose no, and keep
saying no till they say, please choose a file to write this to (or
something similar). RH 7.2 and up use /etc/X11/XF86Config-4   If you
accept the defaults, and write it to XF86Config,then, when
you try to start X again, it'll just go to XF86Config-4, which is
the configuration file that's currently giving you trouble.

Scott from NY