Re: [tlug] bad screen setting

>>>>> "jb" == Jonathan Q <jq@example.com> writes:

    jb> Even if you do the first, it's best to not do the second
    jb> until (at least) you know X works :-)

Thus speaks a man with more brains than money, and more money than
me.  Listen to him.

    >> I've tried getting virtual consoles up but can't (what is the
    >> correct key sequence????).

    jb> alt-f1 to alt-fsomething (8?) which get you virtual consoles,

On Debian, it's 1-6, with 7 being the console used by X11.  Check for
gettys in /etc/inittab.

    jb> but those don't work when X is running (or trying to and
    jb> dying).

No, but Ctl-Alt-F1 etc work when X is running (unless they're disabled
in XF86Config[-4].  I'm not sure what happens if X is kakking.