Re: [tlug] DNS servers down?

Jean-Christian Imbeault (jean_christian@example.com) wrote:

> >Domain Information:
> >p. [Name Server]                ns.gps.co.jp
> >p. [Name Server]                rent.gps.co.jp
>
> So these would be the primary and secondary nameservers?

Not necessarily, they could both be primary.

A secondary (slave) name server is authoritative, but gets
its information from a primary (master) name server.

What secondary DNS really means is somebody somewhere else
who will be authoritative and slave their name servers off
yours so that you're covered in case a Bad Thing happens to
your nameserver(s) or connectivity.

We get our secondary from erols.net, in the U.S.  If
a Bad Thing large enough to take down both our primaries
and secondaries happens, connectivity and name service
probably won't matter so much after that :-)

> >domain gps.co.jp
> >nameserver 192.168.200.1
> >nameserver 202.229.69.6
> >search gps.co.jp
> >
> >DHCP is giving you that, or did you set it up yourself?
>
> DHCP is giving me that.

OK, why?  The usual wisdom is to use your ISP's nameservers.
If gps.co.jp is just somewhere else on the net, you will
get much better service (and faster) by using your ISP's
name servers.  What's 192.168.200.1?  A caching nameserver
on your LAN?  Or just a nameserver for the LAN only?

BTW, www.gps.co.jp is a CNAME to rent.gps.co.jp, one of
their two nameservers. It doesn't seem to have any content,
though, just a blank white page.  It's also their secondary
MX.