Re: [tlug] DNS servers down?

>From: Jonathan Byrne <jq@example.com>
>
>whois -h whois.nic.ad.jp av-navi.co.jp/e
>
>Domain Information:
>p. [Name Server]                ns.gps.co.jp
>p. [Name Server]                rent.gps.co.jp

So these would be the primary and secondary nameservers?

>ISDN:
>-----
>
>$cat /etc/resolv.conf
>
>domain gps.co.jp
>nameserver 192.168.200.1
>nameserver 202.229.69.6
>search gps.co.jp
>
>DHCP is giving you that, or did you set it up yourself?

DHCP is giving me that.

>Interestingly, let's look at 202.229.69.4 now:
>
>dig @example.com www.av-navi.co.jp
[snip]
>It has rejoined the living but is not being helpful.
>
>Best guess, since you say the problem disappeared: both of their
>name servers were either down/offline or were serving up
>bad/no information.  They fixed 69.6 but 69.4 is still
>having issues.
>
>Might I recommend a better hosting service to your friend? :-)

Thanks for the lucid explanation! I have often recommended a better hosting
site. Some contractual issues seem to be causing problems though.

At least now I know what the problem is and how to fix it. Before this we
were always in the dark wondering why our site would seemingly disappear for
about 30 minutes at a time. I figure they must be rebooting their machine
often. (Their web server "crashes" about once a week and need to be
rebooted. I wouldn't be surprised if they are running/hosting other things
on their DNS servers which cause them to need to be rebooted).

Thanks for all the help guys!

Jc