[tlug] Ghostscript hell, and, just maybe, redemption

    Stephen> I haven't succeeded in using TrueType fonts yet, but a
    Stephen> vanilla 7.01 (gotta upgrade ;) prints Type1 Japanese
    Stephen> fonts fine.  CID de mo....  It takes a bit of trickery
    Stephen> though because the fonts I have are "encrypted".

BTW, I've upgraded to current CVS (nominally 7.21) which has a lot
more support for CID fonts (listed as "incomplete", but both Peter and
Rafe tend to be a wee bit conservative in declaring features "done").
I still haven't tried to use these with TrueType, sorry.

It also has a bunch of new, very neat features in process:

  o the library is now a .so, so you have have multiple front ends
    the old standard and a GTK front end are provided; the GTK device
    seems kinda primitive (you just get scrollbars), but that's what
    gv is for, anyway.

  o IJS (aka gimpprint) is supported (I don't know how to use this yet)

  o ICC (a new color specification standard) is partially supported

That's just what I've noticed so far.

I've also managed to get sane high quality output out of my Canon
"Pixus" S700.  If you have a recent Canon BJ printer and are having
problems finding a driver, it looks like most time some hit and miss
tweaking of the bj8*.upp series of uniprint drivers will give
reasonable results.