[tlug] SANE Basics

It was a pleasure to meet those of you who showed up at the Tech
Meeting. It was fun and interesting.

----------------------------

I am making my first attempt at using SANE, and would like to ask for
a bit of orientation.

I have an Epson GT 6700 USB scanner. It is recognized by my system to
the extent that if I do

          [chuck@example.com chuck]$ sane-find-scanner

I get:

      found USB scanner (vendor = 0x04b8, product = 0x010c) at device
      /dev/usb/scanner0

But when I try:

         [chuck@example.com chuck]$ scanimage --list-devices

the result is:

     No scanners were identified.

                ------------------

I have read through numerous SANE-related man pages and the tutorial on the SANE
web site, and have not been able to find an explanation of how I
should interpret the relationship between the above two pieces of
information. As far as driver support is concerned, the GT6700U is not
listed as being supported on the SANE site, but according to the information on the
site, that doesn't necessarily mean that SANE won't work.

 I want to ask:  (1) is the scanner a device that needs to be mounted?
(2) If not, is there some other kind of command  that needs to
be added to a configuration file that I need to play with to turn this
on?

If I can't get this set up, it is not a disaster, because I still keep
Win2000 in my boot up manager, and can scan there. But if anyone who
has done scanning with SANE can give me a couple of tips based on
their experience, I would appreciate it.

Chuck

Charles Muller  <acmuller@example.com>
Faculty of Humanities,  Toyo Gakuen University
Digital Dictionary of Buddhism and CJKV-English Dictionary
[http://www.acmuller.net]