Re: [tlug] cheap, reliable co-location?

On 7/5/2002, "Ryan Shaw" <ryan.shaw@example.com> wrote:
>can anyone recommend a cheap, reliable
>place where i can co-locate a linux box
>in tokyo?

[Disclaimer: my employer is in the co-lo business, so I am not a
disinterested party.  However, this is a straight answer.]

Well, which would you like, a cheap co-lo or a reliable one?  Co-lo space
is very much like the axiom on performance: Cheap, Fast, Good - pick any
two.
Cheap co-lo space is like that for a reason.  You lose the stuff that costs
money but which makes it a good co-lo space: redundant power, Halon fire
suppression, redundant connectivity, secure facility with guards,
surveillance cameras, 24 x 7 access, etc.  Those things are expensive, and
that makes co-lo in such a facility expensive.

Also, be aware that billing for space is normally per U of vertical rack
space, so it pays to have a 1U or 2U box, and bandwidth charges are not
included in that.

If I haven't scared you off yet, I could have an Exodus salesperson contact
you :-)

Cheap co-lo alternatives are:

1) To find somebody with office space and a leased line who will let you
co-lo there.  You lose all the goodies mentioned above, but it's much
cheaper.  You may need to provide your own UPS (do have one, b/c
commercial
buildings have their power cut for safety inspection at least once a
year);

2) Forget co-lo and get fixed-IP DSL or FTTH at home. This is the
lowest-cost alternative.

Jonathan