Re: [tlug] linux/ms web page problem

Matt Gushee writes:
 > On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 04:27:09PM +0200, mocm@example.com wrote:
 > >  >
 > >  > I am currently designing a web page unfortunately using publisher/front
 > >  > page.  The problem is that the konqueror and other linux browsers don't
 > >  > display the page correctly.
 > >  >
 > >  > Are there any web site addressing this type of issues?
 > >
 > > Use http://validator.w3.org/ to validate your page and complain to the
 > > manufacturer of publisher/front page for not complying to standards.
 >
 > Do you really think that will make a difference with MS? They know damn
 > well their products generate bad HTML. If they cared they would have
 > fixed them a long time ago.

I don't know those products or who makes them. I would never use them
anyway, but if you don't complain about such obvious flaws, then they
certainly won't be fixed. Just tell them, you will buy another
product, which is of course no real threat when you are dealing with a
monopoly :(.

 > > Then fix the errors by hand.
 >
 > Have you ever actually tried this? Your typical MS-HTML page is so full
 > of garbage that it's probably easier to rewrite from scratch.

That's probably true.

 > Unfortunately, the original poster is probably required by his
 > boss/clients to use those broken tools ... he did say "unfortunately,"
 > after all. Don't know what to say about that, other than, "I'm sorry."

Maybe if he tells his boss, about the validator (sounds official ;-)),
he will see what kind of sub-standard product they are using.

Marcus

| mocm@example.com            | http://www.metzlerbros.de/        |