[tlug] Analog: Japanese search queries displayed as hex

I'm using analog to analyze my apache logs but have come up with a small
i18n problem. When I get analog to extract the most common search (query)
words it gives me the following:

>reqs: search term
>1261: \x83a\x83\x8d\x83}\x8a\xe9\x89\xe6

Seems that either the apache logger or analog can't quite understand
japanese and is converting to hex.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get analog to display the search terms
in japanese instead of hex?

Thanks!

jc