[tlug] Apache: getting http and https (SSL) to work at the same time

How do I get my Apache server (1.3.26 on RH7.2) to listen and answer request
for both HTTP and HTTPS (SSL) at the same time? I can get one or the other
but not both. i.e. when it acepts HTTPS request it refuses plain HTTP
request (though it does so very politely and gives a nice HTML page saying
why).

I've been racking my brain and scouring the web for some ressource but to no
avail. I've tried using the LISTEN 443 and PORT 80 directives but that still
doesn't allow for plain port 80 HTTP requests ...

Thanks!

Jc