Re: [tlug] Watching dvd in Linux

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 01:06:07PM +0900, Jack Morgan wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 11:18:18AM -0400, Josh Glover wrote:
> > <tongue-in-cheek>
> > Mplayer sucks. Use vlc!
> > </tongue-in-cheek>
> >
> > I have not played with Mplayer,
>
> Then it couldn't possible suck :-)
>
> > but I have used both vlc (VideoLAN  Client)[1] and xine[2] to successfully
> > watch DVDs. xine does not natively support encrypted DVDs, as they are
> > unsure of the legality of the various and sundry decss libraries floating
> > about. However, a plugin is available (I think the xine guys even give you
> > the link off of their  page.)
>
> I believe your an area 1 DVD watcher so not a problem for you. Here in Japan
> area 2, Xine out of the box doesn't work. I'm using xine-ui-0.9.10-r1 which has
> a new API. As a result those plugins, xine-d4d/xine-d4d, don't work with the
> new API yet, AKAICT. Mplayer on the other hand, does work out of the box.

Region ain't got nothing to do with it.  Encrypted is encrypted. The problem
is you haven't done your reading. ;)  The best plugin for watching encrypted
dvds with xine at this point is dvdnav which does have a new version that
corresponds with the new version on xine. I sit here watching silence of the
lambs as we speak.  Try you'll like it.

--Matt