[tlug] preserving permissions settings

One (apparent) difference that I have noticed between Mandrake and my
Red Hat installation is that in Mandrake, without being aware of it, I
had write permissions to my FAT Windows partitions (/mnt/win_c,
/mnt/win_d), as regular user without doing any special setup.

With Red Hat, these are set default with root ownership (I am not
complaining about this--I am sure it's the right way to do it).

When I installed Red Hat, I set these windows folders to user
permissions for both Group and Owner ("chuck") when I did the
installation, but now I notice that they have reverted to root, and when
I try to set them back to "chuck", I receive an "operation not permitted
message" (I did this as SU). However, the user ownership that I applied
to /mnt remains effective.

1) I wonder why I can't change ownership now?

2) If I *can* change ownership, is there a way to make it stick?

Regards,

Chuck