Re: [tlug] RH 6.2 -> 7.2 : Masq and PHP/MySQL problems

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Tittsler" <jwt-tlug@example.com>
To: <tlug@example.com>
Sent: Friday, June 07, 2002 1:41 PM
Subject: Re: [tlug] RH 6.2 -> 7.2 : Masq and PHP/MySQL problems

> On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 12:54:24PM +0900, Matt Doughty wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 12:55:12PM +0900, lists wrote:
> > > querade-HOWTO.html#IPMASQ-INTRO1.0 , and it seems to infer that I have
> > > recompile my kernel... Is this really necessary right after an
upgrade? I
> > > guess I expected 7.2 to come with Masq support for the new iptables
method
> > > built in... Any thoughts?
>
> You can use iptables or ipchains without having to rebuild
> the kernel.

> > 7.2 uses iptables, I imagine your NAT stuff used ipchains. You probably
> > need to convert.
>
> But the RedHat kernel does ship with the ipchains.o
> "compatibility layer", so when that is loaded, the old rules
> should continue to work.  (And in fact, the default RH 'lokkit'
> configuration uses ipchains.)

What I have been doing so far is going through /etc/rc.d/rc.local and
commenting out the old ipchains lines, adding in the same thing with
iptables instead. Is this correct?

    # 1) Flush the rule tables
#    /sbin/ipchains -F input
#    /sbin/ipchains -F forward
#    /sbin/ipchains -F output

     /sbin/iptables -F INPUT
     /sbin/iptables -F FORWARD
     /sbin/iptables -F OUTPUT

> If 'lsmod' doesn't show the
> 'ipchains' module being loaded, you might try manually loading
> it with modprobe or insmod, before trying to insert your rules.

# /sbin/lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
nls_iso8859-1           2832   1  (autoclean)
iptable_filter          2256   0  (autoclean) (unused)
ip_tables              11936   1  [iptable_filter]

Looks like ip_tables is being loaded...
after replacing the ipchains lines above with iptables lines, I assume I
just restart networking and I should be good to go ... ?

Anything wrong here?

Shawn