Re: [tlug] mySQL installation problems

>From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com>
>
>020604 13:13:55 Can't start server : Bind on Unix socket: Permission denied
>020604 13:13:55 Do you already have another mysqld server running on
>socket: /tmp/mysql.sock ?
>
>Maybe /tmp is not writable by mysql?>Maybe /tmp is some
>bizarre filesystem that doesn't support creating socket specials?

Thanks Stephen! Mentionning file permissions and file systems pointed me in
the right direction. When I moved my file systems from ext3 to XFS I didn't
pay attention to the permissions on the the mountpoints (/tmp in
particular). I have now set the perms to 1777 and mysql is happy.

Speaking of which what *are* the "standard" file permissions for /tmp? is
1777 reasonable?

Jc