[tlug] Installing XFS

Ok, I've decided to take the plunge and install XFS on my RH7.2. But ...
it7s not going well. I tried following the HOW-TO but it seems to be out of
date ... it mentions two cvs trees, one stable and one for developemtn, but
only the development one seems to exist. And I definitely would want a
stable version ...

#1- Are there stil two trees? Or is everything now considered stable?

I cvs'ed the tree available and tried to compile a kernel following the
instructions in the HOW-TO but got the following errors:

[root@example.com linux]# make menuconfig
rm -f include/asm
( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
make -C scripts/lxdialog all
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4-xfs/linux/scripts/lxdialog'
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lncurses
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

>>Unable to find the Ncurses libraries.
>>
>>You must have Ncurses installed in order
>>to use 'make menuconfig'

make[1]: *** [ncurses] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4-xfs/linux/scripts/lxdialog'
make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2

But an rpm -q says I do have ncurses installed ...

[root@example.com linux]# rpm -q ncurses
ncurses-5.2-12

#3 did

'make dep'
'make bzImage'

which brings up a list of questions for kernel options. Answered as best as
I could and then the make process failed with this:

ld: cannot open arch/i386/math-emu/math.o: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [kallsyms] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4-xfs/linux'

Seems it's trying to link in some object file it thinks it created but
didn't?

Can anyone help me with getting XFS going? I have RH7.2, base 2.4.7-10
kernel, with a minimal number of packages installed.

Thanks!

Jc