Re: [tlug] xfs, jfs, reiser

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 02:36:56PM +0900, B0Ti wrote:
> reiserfs is only journaling metadata only (The filesystem itself will
> be consistent after recovery, but the data in the files is not
> guaranteed to be).

huh? what's the point of a consistent filesystem if the data
is inconcistent? makes it pretty useless.

i switched to ext3 and reiserfs some weeks ago,
sofar i found that access to a huge directory (500000 files)
is equally fast as slow ones, whereas ext3 (as ext2) were slower.

other than that i found no advantages for my notebook.
on ext3 the mandatory fsck after so a number of mounts still
takes the full time like before, and usually happens when i am
in a hurry. why can't this be done in multiuser mode?
(a read only check that just notes if there is something that
needs to be fixed (usually there should not be anything) and
if something is to be checked it can be noted somewhere and be
taken care of at the next boot time or if it's serious the admin
can be warned to tell him that a manual fsck needs to be made)

i don't use xfs and jfs because they are not in the standard kernel yet,
and knowing the above i won't use reiser for anything else either.
(i am currently using it for a proxy cache where inconsistent datafiles
are not really critical)

greetings, martin.
--
i am looking for a job anywhere in the world, doing pike programming,
caudium/pike/roxen training, roxen/caudium and/or unix system administration.