Re: [tlug] newly compiled bigger than default RH installed kernel

>I nearly miss your post...

Looks like a lot of people did ;)

>I have rebuilt 2.4.18 for my friend as he is using redhat7.1/kernel
>2.4.17 has a security bug.

I'm using 7.2 and was trying to get as small a kernel as possible toincrease
speed.

>The new kernel is about 890KB in comparation with redhat's default
>kernel 2.4.7 800+KB.

Wemust have very different architectures because my default kernel was about
350K. My *new* kernel wasa whoping 650K!

>I realized that if we use make *config and go
>configure kernel option ourself, the size of bzImage will become quite
>big. For the reason of laziness and safety, I install redhat's
>kernel-*src.rpm and grab configuration files in /usr/src/linux/config.

I think I understand what you mean. You used RH's default config file. What
I'm trying to do is config the kernel build so as to get as small a kernel
as possible. I started with what I tought was the default .config file and
then just removed options ... but that gave me a bigger kernel. So obviously
I did something wrong somewhere ....

>Here is my config file.
>
>http://site.techviet.com/linux/archive/kernel-2.4.7-i586.config

Doh! 404 ....