Re: [tlug] FreeBSD.....Linux what's the difference

On 00:47 2002/05/02 +0000, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote
>"Jonathan Q <jq@example.com>" wrote:
>
>>You
>>probably saw the discussion between Chris and Steve about
>>Linux Vs. BSD; it covers it pretty well.
>
>Discussion on the ML? What month? I'd like to read it since I am trying to
>decide on FreeBSD vs. Linux for a web server. I'd use the ML search engine
>to find it myself but it's down currently ...
>
>>If you want the ultimate in stability for mission-critical server use,
>>you can't go wrong with BSD.
>
>I hear one vote for BSD as the OS for my server. Does disagree and suggest
>Linux?

Not a disagreement, but a few points.

Linux seems to do better on iffy hardware.  Probably (hopefully?) not an
issue on a server, especially a mission critical one, but for example, on a
dying hard drive, Linux and MS would still install but FreeBSD would fail
to install. (I'm only experienced with FreeBSD, so when I say BSD, please
realize that's what I mean)

KVM switches--which might be an issue--BSD doesn't deal with them well if
you have to run X for any reason.  The mouse won't work, if you have to do
any point and wimp stuff (he says, writing in Windows--hey, I spent the
last few days on distro installing binges.)  :)  One has to start the
machine while the KVM is focused upon it and then start X for the mouse to
work--once that's done, you can usually switch away and back without problem.
ASUS motherboards and X--the Problem Report was just closed two days ago.
If this is an issue, and for some reason, you have to do something with X
before upgrading to current stable (heh, how's that for an
oxymoron--meaning, of course, the present day stable) you have to edit
/usr/src/sys/i386/i386/i686_mem.c  (If this is an issue let me know, and
I'll give you the particulars.)  However, the problem is fixed--did a cvsup
and build and install world, and it's now working.

Much of this may not be an issue on a server, but might be if you're
playing with it at home before putting it on the server.  Also, if playing
with it at home first, be sure that, if using IDE, that you have shielded
80 pin ATA100 (at least) IDE cable or you'll get a bunch of errors on boot
(though it will work without problem)

HTH a bit
Scott Robbins