[tlug] Xemacs: FTP Access Problem in Package Installation

In Xemacs (21.4.6, LM 8.2) I am trying to download and add packages
(most importantly MULE, with the hope that I can do CJK input).

I seem to be successful with

    Tools >> Packages >> Add Download Site

But at the next stage "List Packages"

I get the following:

     open ftp.xemacs.org
     Connected to xemacs.org.
     220 ProFTPD 1.2.5rc1 Server (Xemacs FTP Archives) [207.96.122.9]
     quote user "anonymous"
     500 AUTH not understood.

I tried this with several different sites, but got the same message. I
searched around through the menus for a place to configure FTP, but was
not able to find anything. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chuck