Re: [tlug] OT (sort of): Free Sun Solaris 9 on DVD...

Josh Glover (jmglov@example.com) wrote:

> Marc Christensen wrote:
> >
> > that Solaris 9 would be Sparc-only platform.  Which is unfortunate.  I
> > think that many people want to use Solaris on their x86 boxes.  Oh well...

> Would they? I was of the opinion that people only ran Solaris to get Sun
> hardware on which to run it... ;)

So sayeth Jonathan :-)

> you hit about four processors. Of course, I guess if you wanted some
> experience running a Solaris box

OK, that's the other good reason - 'cuz Solaris admins can make
big bucks :-)

There are a few other ones like wanting a single OS on all hardware
very badly, so that you would run Solaris on everything.  But to be
really uniform then, you should be running Sun hardware all around,
too.  Sun has moved pricing on the low end to pretty attractive levels
and it is very cool hardware, but the bang:buck ratio will still lead
most businesses to choose PC hardware rather than Sun, and run Linux
if they want desktop *nix.

An application that will only run on Solaris is another one.
If you want to run Cisco Works, for example, you have two
choices (unless they have changed this in the last 6 months): doze
and Sparc Solaris.  I know which one I'd pick.  But I'd be pretty
happy to see Cisco Works running on Linux.

Jonathan