Re: [tlug] ssh: No value for $TERM and no -T specified

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Josh> :jmglov@example.com; ssh harp
>     Josh> Last login: Tue May 21 15:24:27 2002 from alhana
>     Josh> :jmglov@example.com; echo $TERM
>     Josh> xterm
>
> This is an interactive shell, and either a .profile or a .bashrc (eg,
> if you're using bash) is being read.

Sure, but TERM never gets set in my .bashrc, .bash_profile, or
/etc/bashrc. Where else could it be getting set?

>     Josh> :jmglov@example.com; ssh harp 'echo $TERM'
>     Josh> No value for $TERM and no -T specified
>
> This is non-interactive on the remote side, no .rc is being read.

So do you have any idea why ssh is bitching? Or is it ssh that is
raising this error message? Something else that I should have reported:
I only see this when ssh-ing into Redhat 7.3 boxen. Strange.

Thanks,
Josh