Re: [tlug] ssh: No value for $TERM and no -T specified

    Josh> :jmglov@example.com; ssh harp
    Josh> Last login: Tue May 21 15:24:27 2002 from alhana
    Josh> :jmglov@example.com; echo $TERM
    Josh> xterm

This is an interactive shell, and either a .profile or a .bashrc (eg,
if you're using bash) is being read.

    Josh> :jmglov@example.com; ssh harp 'echo $TERM'
    Josh> No value for $TERM and no -T specified

This is non-interactive on the remote side, no .rc is being read.

I don't know the semantics of -T offhand, but probably it refers to
the local machine, while it's the remote machine that's confused about
terminals.  Some versions of ssh at least do not set TERM.  (I
actually don't think they should.)

Not terribly organized, but HTH