[tlug] what Yahoo uses is PPTP?

"shane eastwood" <shane_eastwood@example.com> writes:

>I want to ask you if you know if Suse 8.0 for the internet,
has an
>automatic (DHCP?) IP setting for Broadband or does it use the
>PPPoe?Yahoo BB uses the DHCP/automatic setting of the IP
setting as in
>MS Windows.
>I have had no luck with Red Hat 7.2. In the US PPPoe seems to
be the
>standard mode of connection, but not necessarily here; with
Yahoo BB.

>You can post your response on the TLUG list if you like.

I'm not sure, I haven't yet used any such stuff myself.

But while translating the YaST2 messages into Japanese I also
translated messages like

    msgid ""
    "<p>\n"
    "This module is only relevant for providers using PPPoE or
PPPoATM.\n"
    "In the US, some providers use PPTP, so you only need to
configure\n"
    "your ethernet card in the Network/Base module in YaST2.\n"
    "If you are not sure, ask your provider.\n"
    "</p>"
    msgstr ""
    "<p>このモジュールは PPPoE あるいは PPPoATM を使用しているプ
ロバイダに\n"
    "しか使用できません。米国では幾つかのプロバイダが PPTP を使
用しています。\n"
    "その場合にはイーサネット・カードを YaST2 の「ネットワーク/
基本」のモ\n"
    "ジュールに設定します。ご不明な点に関しては、プロバイダにお
問い合わせ下\n"
    "さい。</p>"

i.e. it looks like several protocols are supported. The most
common
protocol in Germany seems to be PPPoe, but there are providers
using
other protocols as well. Probably all of them work.

If I understand it correctly, what Yahoo uses is PPTP.

I just asked a YaST2 developer and he was not perfectly sure
either,
but he said that in that case it should be rather easy, you
just have
to setup your ethernet card and then setup your DHCP client.

Depending on the provider, sometimes special options may be
necessary
for the DHCP client.

But I really don't know much about this stuff, I am still using
only a 56K modem.

--
Mike Fabian   <mfabian@example.com>   http://www.suse.de/~mfabian
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。