Re: [tlug] Re: UTF-8 Terminal Emulators?

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, A.Sajjad Zaidi wrote:

> I have my LANG set to
> ja_JP.eucJP and I can view/input Japanese fine, but nobody is able to
> read my mails.

The Japanese text you are sending should be encoded as iso-2022-jp (jis)
and your mailer should be configured to send the same encoding.

> Another person told me I should use sjis, "just like everyone else". Is
> that correct?

To the chagrin of quite a few people around here, sjis is still alive and
kicking. I just read that all Japanese i-mode pages need to be sjis...

Fewer and fewer people are sending sjis encoded email messages, however.

Tony Laszlo, Tokyo
http://www.issho.org/laszlo.html

See you at the World Cup!
http://www.issho.org/wcup2002.html