Re: TLUG Novice/Advocacy List <was:Re: [tlug] Thanks>

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Michael Doughty wrote:

> >> Somewhere around Tue, 9 Apr 2002 07:31:12 +0900, Uva Coder wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 12:52:10AM +0900, Matt Doughty wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > The TLUG we all know and love. A place where you are as likely to have your
> > > head bitten off as not. An environment many of us feel confortable with it
> > > seems.  we are happy to help but on our terms. We feel no obligation to be
> > > anything but honest. (those without an asbestos wardrobe need not apply)
> >
> > Maybe we need a warning/disclaimer that better describes the list.
> > Something along the line of what Matt stated above would suffice. :)
>
> Actually I thought instead of a warning/disclaimer we should provide
> a quick mutt/procmail howto so that all the participants are fairly
> armed with a killfile and know how to use it.
>

> Michael

The more I think about the past few weeks' TLUG mail list, the more it
seems to me like we're experiencing "the clash of civilizations"  (as in
the Huntington book)

Maybe we should make "the jargon file" and "the hacker crackdown"
mandatory readings for new TLUGers ... those helped me get to know and be
comfortable (to some extent) with the haxor mindset and culture.