Re: [tlug] Re: debian japanese

    Jim> OK, so we add SuSE to RH and Mandrake on the list of breaking
    Jim> distros?  8-)}

Literally?  Yes.  However, (1) in my experience SuSE is much better
about documentation and passing things upstream than RH and Mandrake.
(Granted, that perception may just be because Mike and I have known
each other for several years now, and he regularly consults me on
things that might affect XEmacs.)

And (2) some breakage is necessary to regularize the UIs.  Some users
may be upset by changes.  However, done properly with configuration
files (as SuSE does) there is no reason why the configuration will
suddenly break again if you change to an upstream distribution of the
software.

I would like to get my hands on the lackwit who pushed the
ISO-8859/15-in-X-Compound-Text-Encoding damage through, though.  One
sorta suspects SuSE people had a hand in that.  Not to mention the
multiplicity of ways to handle UTF-8 in X11R6.5.