Re: [tlug] Using TAR

[Charles Muller ([tlug] Using TAR) writes:]
>> In connection with my prior font problem, as I indicated, I was hoping that
>> I could save some important items--such as my mail, in the event that I have
>> to do a reinstall. But every time I try to run TAR with my  /home/chuck
>> directory, it crashes halfway through with no explanation as to why.

Are you sure you are not running into a file size limit? ISTR that some
Linux file systems have a 2Gb limit on individual files. I ran into that
when I tried to do a big backup tar, so I have to do several spanning
different sets of subdirectories. I also have a set of exclusions
using the "--exclude-from" option, as I don't want to back up static
files available elsewhere.

I recall that when tar died it *did* warn me of a write failure.

[FWIW I have a cron job that runs backup tars, gzips and mkisofss in the
wee hours of the morning, so all I have to do is slip a couple of CD
blanks in the writer when I get in.]

>> Is it possible that TAR doesn't work if there are archive files already in
>> the directory?

No, it's not that picky.

Good luck

Jim

--
Jim Breen  [j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298