Re: [tlug] Making new boot image for RH cd...

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 05:53:19AM -0800, roy lo wrote:

> Mancy, Raymond wrote:
[snip]
> >I figured out why my toshiba laptop cannot boot RH CD's....I hear that it
> >is
> >because the image is 2.88mb...too big for the bios apparently.
> >
> really? I had/have 3 toshiba laptops and never have problems with them.
> can you tell me what model do you have?
> Also, I don't think bios size has much to do with loading boot images.
> It ought to be independent of each other.

For info, I have the same problem with a Toshiba Satellite 4030X. I cut a boot
CD with a 2.88mb boot image, and the machine wouldn't boot from it.  I put the
same files into a 1.44mb image and recut the CD, and the machine booted
without error.

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know where this problem comes from?  Is
the image read by firmware inside the CD drive?  Or is it a BIOS thing?

Cheers,
Frank