[tlug] RE: need help: Orinoco wireless card setup

RE: need help: Orinoco wireless card setup
From: Makoto Sadahiro <sadahiro@example.com>
 To: tlug@example.com
 Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 19:47:36 -0600

Hi,

someone just sent me a message asking if I managed to set this up
successfully. I deleted the message(with email address) by mistake so I am
responding to the group.

I use SuSE 7.3 with IBM A21p. SuSE pretty much supported Orinoco wireless
card out of box. I just had to edit few lines in
/etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts.
Here is my wireless.opts. Please note that I do not have any encription
turned on.

# Wireless LAN adapter configuration
#
# Theory of operation :
#
# The script attempts to match a block of settings to the specific
wireless
# card inserted, the *first* block matching the card is used.
# The address format is "scheme,socket,instance,hwaddr", with * as a
wildcard.
# 'scheme' is the pcmcia scheme (set via 'cardctl scheme XXX').
# 'hwaddr' is the unique MAC address identifier of the wireless card.
# The MAC address is usually printed on the card,
# or can be found via ifconfig.
# Some examples here use only half of the MAC address with a wildcard to
# match a whole family of cards...
#
# All the Wireless specific configuration is done through the Wireless
# Extensions, so we will just call 'iwconfig' with the right parameters
# defined below.
# Of course, you need to have iwconfig installled on your system.
# To download iwconfig, or for more info on Wireless Extensions :
#http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Tools.html
#
# Note : you don't need to fill all parameters, leave them blank, in most
# cases the driver will initialise itself with sane defaults values or
# automatically figure out the value... And no drivers do support all
# possible settings...
#
# If you make any mistakes, you'll get a cryptic message in the system
# log. You'll need to figure out on your own which parameter was wrong:
#   cardmgr[310]: executing: './network start wvlan0'
#   cardmgr[310]: + SIOCSIWMODE: Invalid argument
# I've tried to give more troubleshooting help at :
#http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Tools.html#debug
# In case of doubts, just check "/etc/pcmcia/wireless" for the gory
details...
#
# Note also that this script will work only with the original Pcmcia
scripts,
# and not with the default Red Hat scripts. Send a bug report to Red Hat
;-)
#
# Finally, send comments and flames to me, Jean Tourrilhes <jt@example.com>
#

case "$ADDRESS" in

# Here is an example of scheme matching
# Activate with "cardctl scheme essidany"

# Pick up any Access Point, should work on most 802.11 cards
essidany,*,*,*)
  INFO="Any ESSID"
  ESSID="any"
  MODE="Infrastructure"
#  MODE="Ad-Hoc"
  ;;

# Here are a few examples with a few Wireless LANs supported...
# The matching is done on the first 3 bytes of the MAC address

# Lucent Wavelan IEEE (+ Orinoco, RoamAbout and ELSA)
# Note : wvlan_cs driver only, and version 1.0.4+ for encryption support
*,*,*,00:60:1D:*|*,*,*,00:02:2D:*)
  INFO="Wavelan"
  ESSID="any"
  MODE="Infrastructure"
#  MODE="Ad-Hoc"
#  MODE="Managed"
  RATE="auto"
  KEY="off"
#  KEY="s:secu1"
# To set all four keys, use :
#  KEY="s:secu1 [1] key s:secu2 [2] key s:secu3 [3] key s:secu4 [4] key
[1]"
# For the RG 1000 Residential Gateway: The ESSID is the identifier on
# the unit, and the default key is the last 5 digits of the same.
#  ESSID="084d70"
#  KEY="s:84d70"
  ;;

# Cisco/Aironet 4800/340
# Note : MPL driver only (airo/airo_cs), version 1.3 or later
*,*,*,00:40:96:*)
  INFO="Cisco/Aironet example (Cisco default settings)"
  ESSID="any"
# To set all four ESSID, use iwconfig v21 and the same trick as above
  MODE="Managed"
#  RATE="11M auto"
#  KEY="off"
  ;;

# Samsung MagicLan (+ some other PrismII cards)
# Note : Samsung binary library driver, version 1.20 or later
*,*,*,00:00:F0:*|*,*,*,00:02:78:*)
  INFO="Samsung MagicLan example (Samsung default settings)"
  ESSID="any"
  MODE="Managed"
  CHANNEL="4"
  RATE="auto"
#  KEY="883e-aa67-21 [1] key 5501-d0da-87 [2] key 91f5-3368-6b [3] key
2d73-31b7-96 [4]"
#  IWCONFIG="power on"
  ;;

# Raytheon Raylink/WebGear Aviator2.4
# Note : doesn't work yet, please use for debugging only :-(
*,*,*,00:00:8F:*|*,*,*,00:00:F1:*)
  INFO="Raylink/Aviator2.4 example (Aviator default ad-hoc setting)"
  ESSID="ADHOC_ESSID"
  MODE="Ad-Hoc"
  RATE="auto"
  IWPRIV="set_framing 1"
  ;;

# Old Lucent Wavelan
*,*,*,08:00:0E:*)
  INFO="Wavelan example (Lucent default settings)"
  NWID="0100"
  MODE="Ad-Hoc"
  FREQ="2.425G"
  KEY="off"
  ;;

# Netwave (Xircom Netwave/Netwave Airsurfer)
*,*,*,00:80:C7:*)
  INFO="Netwave example (Netwave default settings)"
  NWID="100"
  KEY="00"
  ;;

# Proxim RangeLan2/Symphony (what is the MAC address ???)
*,*,*,XX:XX:XX:*)
  INFO="Proxim RangeLan2/Symphony example"
  NWID="0"
  MODE="Master"
  CHANNEL="15"
  IWPRIV="setsubchan 1"
  ;;

# No Wires Needed Swallow 550 and 1100 setting (what is the MAC address
???)
*,*,*,XX:XX:XX:*)
  INFO="NWN Swallow example"
  ESSID="session"
  KEY="0000-0000-00 open"
  ;;

# Symbol Spectrum24 setting (what is the MAC address ???)
*,*,*,XX:XX:XX:*)
  INFO="Symbol Spectrum24 example"
  ESSID="Essid string"
  ;;

# Generic example (decribe all possible settings)
*,*,*,*)
  INFO="Fill with your own settings..."
  # ESSID (extended network name) : My Network, any
  ESSID=""
  # NWID/Domain (cell identifier) : 89AB, 100, off
  NWID=""
  # Operation mode : Ad-Hoc, Managed, Master, Repeater, Secondary, auto
  MODE=""
  # Frequency or channel : 1, 2, 3 (channel) ; 2.422G, 2.46G (frequency)
  FREQ=""
  CHANNEL=""
  # Sensitivity (cell size + roaming speed) : 1, 2, 3 ; -70 (dBm)
  SENS=""
  # Bit rate : auto, 1M, 11M
  RATE=""
  # Encryption key : 4567-89AB-CD, s:password
  KEY=""
  # RTS threshold : off, 500
  RTS=""
  # Fragmentation threshold : off, 1000
  FRAG=""
  # Other iwconfig parameters : power off, ap 01:23:45:67:89:AB
  IWCONFIG=""
  # iwspy parameters : + 01:23:45:67:89:AB
  IWSPY=""
  # iwpriv parameters : set_port 2, set_histo 50 60
  IWPRIV=""
  ;;
esac

--