Re: Ping: Going backwards in time

[Jean-Christian Imbeault (Ping: Going backwards in time) writes:]
>> On my RH7.1 machine when I try and ping something I get the very funny
>> mesage:
>>
>> "Warning: time of day goes back, taking countermeasures."
>>
>> What does it mean and how do I stop my machine from going back in time?

No the problem is with the other machine. It is obviously travelling
close to the speed of light relative to you, and the Fitzgerald-Lorentz
contraction effect is leading to a perceived slowing of its clock.

>> (This could explain why it has been getting slower and slower. Maybe it is
>> de-evolving into a 486?).

Not at all. Of course I'd expect some spectacular round-trip-times when
pinging another machine travelling at relativistic speeds. Ping should
handle it all OK. File transfers may be a problem though, but
I'm sure there are some TCP extensions in the pipeline to handle the window
sizes implicit in intra-galactic internet operations. I think they are
due to be implemented in RH 29.3

Cheers

Jim

--
Jim Breen  [j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298