Re: New to Tokyo...

Welcome to Tokyo, Kris.  Permission isn't needed to attend
the meeting, please do come.

kristofer.bergstrom@example.com (kristofer.bergstrom@example.com) wrote:

>    I hate to ask a question right off the bat, but I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on internet providers here in T-town.  I'm moving into an old apartment with no phone or TV lines so I'm sort-of starting from scratch.

DSL is widely available in Tokyo these days, so chances are good that you
can get it in your area.  Since your apartment has no phone wiring, you'll
need to have that done, in addition to the outside hookup.

ISPs in Tokyo that offer English support include (but probably
aren't limited to):

* AT&T Jens <URL:http://www.att.ne.jp/indexe.html>

*Asahi-Net <URL:http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/en/>

*GOL <URL:http://home.gol.com/index_e.html>
(DISCLAIMER: I work there, at least for 3 more weeks)

*eAccess <URL:http://www.eaccess.net/en/index.html>
(DSL only; eAccess does not offer dial-up accounts, so
if you want to be able to dial in from other places,
I recommend getting a regular ISP that offers
DSL services.  All three of the other ISPs mentioned above
offer DSL and dial-up.)

> Is it possible to get by with a keitai for phone calls and some sort of high-speed connection (cable modem, ADSL?, etc) for the internet?

That's what I do.  My phone number that everyone knows is a PHS
number, not a landline.

Someone has a very informative page about high-speed access in
Japan.  I've misplaced the URL, but someone on TLUG will have it
and can re-post it.

Cheers,

Jonathan