Re: Linux firewall for a Samba || NT file server

Jc,

Using an FTP client is not that hard. I have tought secretaries
(albeit smart ones) to do it.

The latest version of Internet Explorer makes FTP look like
a normal folder. I could not figure out how to make it write
files to FTP, though, last time I tried. (The main problem
was my almost overpowering desire to run screaming from the
machine, though, so you might be able to get it going :-) )
You could set up a bookmark that has the user's login name
as part of the URL.

From a security standpoint, the best solution would probably
be to set up a VPN. Then all protocols would be relatively secure.

If the file sharing machine is isolated in the DMZ, it is not
too bad. But it is quite dangerous if the machine is on
the local LAN and you are allowing (even limited) access from
the Internet.

Jake