Re: Linux firewall for a Samba || NT file server

Jean-Christian Imbeault (jean_christian@example.com) wrote:

> I guess the problems is that the file server is for internal use only but I

Wait, before you said it was to be a public file server.
Now you're saying it's private for internal use.  This
does change things a bit.

If this machine will not be connected to the Internet,
that makes the original proposition safer.  Of
course, lock the box down just as much as if it were
connected to the Internet.

> still want to make it secure just in case one of internal machines get
> compromised and then is used to hack the file server.

Are the internal machines NATted?  If not, you can dramatically
increase your security by NATting them.  I would do it, unless
there were some overriding valid reason why the users needed
routable IP addresses.   Filtering ports 137-139 at your
router is also a very good idea.

Jonathan