Re: Office documents

Michael Engel <michael-engel@example.com> writes:

> I am trying to get some input in the capability of StarOffice to read the
MS
> Office files.
>
> Does reading (import) work well ?
> Word
> Excel
> Powerpoint

I has used StarOffice--with very satisfying results--to import files from
all of these programs.

> How about the writing (export) capability ? Can MS Office read the
> StarOffice files well ?

I don't belive MS Office can read the native StarOffice formats (that is,
.sdw for StarWriter, the Word equivalent; .sdc for StarCalc, the Excel
equivalent; and .sdd for StarImpress, the Powerpoint equivalent), but that
is no big concern as all of these programs can save files in their
counterpart's format (.doc, .xls, and .ppt, respectively).

Where I have encountered problems are when someone sends me an RTF file that
was created in StarOffice and opened in MS Office. Sometimes the lines don't
line up quite the way they should. Also, clipart sometimes doesn't transfer
well between these two suites, but I am of the opinion that clipart is
something to be avoided anyway. ;-)

> If you are in Japan, you are also exposed to Ichitaro files - what's about
> them ?

As the others have already mentioned, Japanese and StarOffice do not mix--at
least not until version 6 is released later this year!

--Sako