Re: round 2

Me:

> I type XFree86 and Enter.

> Wowee, grafix! I get a gray screen with an X cursor.

> What am I supposed to do with this?

Ah, digging around in my book about RH 6.2 suggested hitting Ctrl-Alt-BS.
That worked.  (Incidentally, I think it's a pity that, unlike RH 6.2, RH
7.1 agrees with the IBM/Fujitsu suits that the key next to "A" is
CapsLock and that the useful Ctrl is hidden away in a corner.)

startx bombed out with the charming message

"Fatal server error: No valid modes found"

Sure enough, a look at the logfile revealed no modes. I wanted (and had
attempted to set) 800x600, but read

"SVGA mode '800x600' needs hsync freq of 48.08 kHz. Deleted."

Well, hey, sorry, but I specified 37.8 kHz; as this is what both the
manual and http://www.fmworld.net/product/former/bi9706/nu/spec.html
(note 3) say.  Why should 800x600 need 48.08 kHz -- or how might I tell
X that it doesn't need this?

And another small point: Although I told the installation procedure that
I had a generic three-button mouse, I read that I have a five [!] button
mouse. Should I worry?