Apache unhappy with my Locale setting

I know have my keyboard happy to be japanese, but it seems apache isn't
quite as happy with locale . . . trying to start apache give me the
following perl error:

Starting httpd: perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
	LANGUAGE = (unset),
	LC_ALL = (unset),
	LANG = "ja"
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
	LANGUAGE = (unset),
	LC_ALL = (unset),
	LANG = "ja"
                                                           [FAILED]

I'm all new to these locale settings . . . always been happy to work in
plain C mode before :) What do I need to fix to make apache/perl happy?

Jc