Re: RH net configuration GUI tool buggy?

Jean-Christian Imbeault (jean_christian@example.com) wrote:

> [root@example.com /root]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network
> NETWORKING=yes
> HOSTNAME=dev
> GATEWAYDEV=10.2.100.91
> GATEWAY=10.2.100.91

There's a problem here.  Your GATEWAYDEV should be set to
the name of your gateway device.  I'm going to assume here
that your gateway devices is your first/only ethernet
card.  You can even omit this parameter entirely if you
have only one network card in your machine.  Set it
to:

GATEWAYDEV="eth0"

If 10.2.100.91 is your machine's IP address, this is
doubly borked.  The gateway is not your machine,the
gateway is the next hop.  My workstation is 203.216.0.50, and
my gateway is 203.216.0.1.  This is my /etc/sysconfig/network:

NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=yamame.gol.ad.jp
GATEWAY=203.216.0.1

This is my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=203.216.0.127
IPADDR=203.216.0.50