Re: RH 6.2 install causes screen to explode

Okay, I've decided to join the fun... There's nothing wrong with
what you've got right now in terms of Redhat. Don't be fooled by
listening to such and such an other Linux is easier. Sure they
may be, but they've still all got their little problems for you
to get stuck on. In my opinion RH is just as good a choice as any.

Okay, you've 2 choices...

a) re-install RH again, this is the fastest way to get you up and
running. Select to install X, but then when it asks you to configure
it, skip that part till later. This will install all the X packages
and all their dependancies for you, but you will have to run the
configuration tools (or edit the config file) later after the install.
This in my opinion is what you should do if you want to get up running
fast.

b) prepare to learn a little about rpm and why dependancies are a good
thing. Couple of commands for you...

If you want to see what rpms you have installed...

rpm -qa

To check that for just X stuff (roughly speaking)

rpm -qa | grep -i xfree

Nothing installed? Mount your cd on /mnt/cdrom. Rpms live under
/mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS (from memory not sure, but its close enough)
Anyway change directory to in there.

All of the basic rpms for X start with XFree86. So lets try install
all them and see what fails...

rpm -ihv XFree86*

Did it work? What dependancies failed? Send in the full list if you
can't make head nor tail of it and I'll try help out.

if it says something fails, try finding out what that dependancy is and
installing its rpm first. A way to try and find this might be to ls and
grep the file name in the rpm dir on the cd. ie if it says that textutils
is missing, then try...

rpm -qa | grep textutils

is it installed already?

ls | grep -i textutil

is it some obvious package name on the cd? etc.

Another way to find the name of the rpm that it comes from is to go
to rpmfind.net and type in the name of the library or filename and
let it find the rpm name. Then look for that on your cd.

When that works, you might like to install the XConfigurator?
same deal as before. As you get to know linux, you'll get to know
what some of the libraries do and where they live. It will make sense
to you then what rpm to look for if it is not installed already.

Anyway, give that a go and send in what fails and we'll try sort you out.

Tom.

Thomas O'Dowd. - Nooping - http://nooper.com
tom@example.com - Testing - http://nooper.co.jp/labs