blackbox and icewm

I am guessing that I'm missing something obvious, but....

I have two boxes, one running RH7.1 English, the other Japanese.

In the English distro, if I run blackbox or icewm, start kinput, open a
kterm, I have no trouble inputting Japanese.

In the Japanese distro, however, though, if I start with KDE, kinput starts
automatically and everything is hunky dory, if I start either blackbox or
icewm, start kinput (which doesn't start with those two window managers)
and open a kterm, the shift + space combination doesn't do anything, save
move the cursor over a bit.
Not sure what other info might help--used the tar.gz source on both,
installed both as root but in both cases run it as user scottro.  If, for
example, I open kmail or sylpheed while in blackbox, they come up with the
Japanese menu but again, I can't input Japanese.

(In the English version, can't input Japanese in those two either, though I
can with Pine.)

TIA
Scott Robbins