Re: RH 6.2 install causes screen to explode

Dear,

In general, laptops are not easy to configure if you want to run X, or it
have been. (this doesn't apple to apple laptops) The current distros do very
good jobs though.

> > The second time around, I took the option of installing RH in expert
> > mode. Perhaps there were one or two more questions, but anyway I wasn't
> > asked anything about video (or any other aspect of hardware, for that
> > matter) and again the screen turned white.
>
>Try 'expert text' to start the install in text mode. Choose to install
>whatever
>you need, including X and boot into text mode after the install. You can
>then
>configure X with 'Xconfigurator'.

With Vine2.1.5 and Turbolinux 6 Installers, which are both based on some old
RedHat I think, the same thing happened to IBM ThinkPad iSeries 1800, even
on text-mode installer.  RedHat7.1J, on the other hand, worked fine.

> > After I press Ctrl-Alt-Del the screen briefly goes back into text mode
> > and I see something about "Trident", "SVGA", etc., etc., but the damn
> > thing reboots before I have time to write anything down.
> >
> > What should I do?  (Be patient and let the installation do its thing
> > with my screen? Just go back to Win98 and Microsoft "Bob"? Get an iMac?
> > Suicide?)

I have HP OmnibookXE2 which uses Trident Cyberblade.  I have tried several
"working" XF86COnfig, but none of them worked successfully. You can try some
of them on your laptop.  If it worked well, give me your XF86COnfig. :)

>No dont get Suicide. Then again, its better than the other options. If
>youre
>really depressed, wait for Win XP. :)

Well, iMac with OSX is not a bad option, because it is based on BSD although
they modified a lot. You can run almost anything including X instead of
OSX's default "Aqua".

> > If you think I have adequate brainpower to proceed in my attempted
> > escape from M$, suggestions on how to partition my paltry 1.4GB of
> > single and unreplaceable hard drive would be welcome too. (How big a
> > swap disk, etc.)
>
>Depends on how much RAM you have and how much youll use after installation.
>have one server with 1GB of swap and a lappy with just 8MB (+8MB physical
>RAM).
>About 100MB should be more than enough for swap. For starters, just use the
>rest
>of the disk for '/'.

BABA Yoshihiko
Daido Information Technology