Re: Localhost connection refused

Jonathan Q wrote...

> Do you notice any difference between what I told you to do and
> what you actually did?
>
> What I told you:
>
> /sbin/ipchains -L -v
>
> What you did:
>
> cd /sbin
> ipchains -L -v
>
> You did su but not su - so the way you did it won't work (because you
> kept your own environment rather than getting the root environment),
> so you have to use the full path to the command.

Yes, thank you, that is the kind of patient explanation I need.

And now this is what comes back:

Chain input (policy ACCEPT: 12221 packets, 8662339 bytes):
Chain forward (policy ACCEPT: 0 packets, 0 bytes):
Chain output (policy ACCEPT: 13334 packets, 796815 bytes):

Does this give anyone a clue as to why I can't connect to localhost, even
as root? Apparently there is something else going on not in ipchains but
elsewhere.

--
John De Hoog, Tokyo
dehoog@example.com