Re: Localhost connection refused

Uva Coder wrote...

> > Telnetting to localhost, even as root, also produces a Connection
> > refused response.
> >
> > I have my Red Hat firewall set to Medium default. localhost is
> > defined in /etc/hosts as 127.0.0.1.
> >
> > Any hints as to the basic thing I'm doing wrong??
>
> Wrong? That's great! A sign of a well-configured firewall. You will
> need to look at your ipchains configuration and modify the rules
> a bit to open up the ports you want. But for out of the box firewall
> solution, refusing connections from the localhost is a very good
> firewall policy.

Thanks, Uva. I guess I'll have to figure out how. The Firewall
Configurator in RedHat lets me define new rules, and after activating
them I did
# service ipchains restart
to flush the old rules and effect the new ones. Still no luck, though,
even defining the broadest possible ACCEPT cases on all ports and for
127.0.0.1/8.

--
John De Hoog, Tokyo
dehoog@example.com