Re: Localhost connection refused

I've got a similar (I think) situation.

I set up a WUI emailer, like a mini-hotmail type of thing, to work with
sendmail on Mandrake 7.1 with a 2.2 kernel.  Then I created some fake users,
sent email to them, logged back in as them and collected the mail - worked
great.  Wouldn't do Japanese though - only mojibake came back - and I'll be
darned if I know how to get the Japanese going.  So I put in RH 7.1 because
I read you good people say that it sets up Japanese for you.  I put in the
emailer, hit it from a browser, put in a username, and...connection refused.
This was my first brush with 2.4 kernel and the changes that go with it, so
I wasn't sure how to make sure that ipop3d and smtp were right (what's the
new equivalent of inetd.conf? It's not xinetd.conf) allthough ps told me
that they were up.

From something Johnathan wrote a while back I knew where to look for
ipchains rules now and noticed there was nothing to let pop3 through, so
because it was already late, I just changed all the REJECTs to ACCEPTs.  No
dice.  It still refuses connections, including ftp.

My question boils down to this.  Security is all well and good, but it would
be nice to see things work first and then put my #'s in and change my S's to
s's to tighten it.  What else might it be in RH 7.1 that forbids stuff that
Man7.1 allows?

Also, how does one now stop and start telnet, pop3, etc if not in
inetd.conf?  Anyone got a good URL to share?

Glenn