some questions

Hello everyone,

as a new subscriber to this list i would like to introduce myself before i
aks you some questions: my name is Hendrik, and i live in southern Okinawa,
on Ishigaki Island.

9 years ago i worked with SUN(?) UNIX on a SUN server and SCO UNIX on
several generic 386 based PCs, and 2 years ago i helped someone install a
German version of SuSE LINUX on a Pentium based Notebook and a desktop
machine, but beyond that i have no current experience with UNIX or LINUX.
In the past i have also worked with OS/2 based networks and DOS based
workstations attached to a UNIX server (this required a great deal of DOS
batch file writing, something i still do once in a while when i get my
hands on an 80x86 machine). In addition, i was once thoroughly familiar
with Windows 3.0 and 3.1 but have completely given up working with
Microsoft software since.

At home i use several (officially obsolete) Macintosh computers with MacOS
7 as a small LAN, using a software router and ISDN, and at various work
sites i have set up office networks and various servers, using hardware or
software routers for ISDN and cable - all using Macintosh computers and
MacOS 7, 8, and 9 (English and Japanese).

Since my encounter with UNIX happened in the rather distant past, i am not
at all familiar with the currently available flavours of UNIX and LINUX,
but i will be working for someone in the near future who would like me to
set up some servers (SMTP/POP, HTTP, and FTP) with LINUX. Therefore i would
like to ask you for your recommendations and advice on the following:

1) I would like to set up a machine with a flavour of LINUX that is common
enough, so that it is not too difficult to find information and support on
the internet (after all, i live on a small island, and there may be nobody
else here who uses LINUX). To keep my stress level manageable, i would
initially like to use English instead of Japanese in the human language
interface and switch to Japanese later, if that is possible at all (maybe
everything IS only in English anyway? i don't know that).

2) I would also need to know where i can get an affordable CD of the
recommended flavour of LINUX with an installation program - if such a thing
is available - that "does everything" for me, from doing the hardware
analysis to installing the necessary components based on choices it
presents me with. The reason for taking this "lazy" approach is that i
would like to get one machine up and running without too much delay so that
it can be productive (after all, this will not be my own machine where i
can tinker as long as i like but someone else's server). But on another
machine i would like to do an installation "manually", so that i learn more
about the steps that are involved in an installation, the options that are
available, and the various issues i need to know about (safety, security,
interfaces, devices, etc.).

Finally, i would like to know whether this mailing list is the appropriate
place for the inevitable detail questions such an adventure will produce or
whether there are other lists that might be better suited for that,
considering the particular flavour of LINUX i would be using.

I hope my wishes are not too far off from what can realistically be done
and am looking forward to your suggestions.

Thanks & regards: Hendrik