Re: Q.

Dan Lindfield <dan.lindfield@example.com> writes:

>Well,
>
>I'm back to where I was two days ago and Have all the same problems!
>[...]
>I wanted to load an Alsa sound driver, I downloaded the appropriate tar files and
>tried to install but the ./configure option would always fail because /usr/bin/ld
>could not find crt1.o. I located crt1.o in  /usr/i586-glibc20-linux/lib so I added
>this path to the file '/etc/ld.so.conf' and executed ldconfig. As soon as I had done
>so I lost all useful shell commands and decided to reboot. But of course it never
>did!

This is what I have on my system (RH 7.0):

[root@example.com local]# locate crt1.o
/usr/lib/Mcrt1.o
/usr/lib/crt1.o
/usr/lib/gcrt1.o
/usr/i386-glibc21-linux/lib/Mcrt1.o
/usr/i386-glibc21-linux/lib/crt1.o
/usr/i386-glibc21-linux/lib/gcrt1.o

[root@example.com local]# rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/lib/crt1.o
glibc-devel-2.2-12

[root@example.com local]# rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/i386-glibc21-linux/lib/crt1.o
compat-glibc-6.2-2.1.3.2

Looks like the crt1.o you have in /usr/i586-glibc20-linux/lib
belongs to compatibility package. You may still need one in /usr/lib.

Viktor