Re: Ethernet card: no response to pings

Thanks for the help everyone.
The problem was the laptop, as soon as I swapped the laptop it worked. No
idea why, this laptop does talk to the LAN and internet OK. I am sure
everyone knows the desponency you feel when you have exhausted every avenue,
at least now I know it was something that couldn't be fixed.

I have another question if anyone knows.

Using KDE on RH7.1, on shutdown you can select Console Mode, I assume this
means is runlevel 3. Then you get a gray screen, to get a console screen you
press cntl-alt-F1 through 6 or so. Is this really runlevel 3 or has KDE (X)
just gone into suspension? Is there a command that tells me the run level?

Brett

Jim, sorry about the html earlier, my excuse I am using Japanese M$ Outlook
Express. It's the microsoft bit not the Japanese that is my excuse.