Re: Microsoft vs. Open Source

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 11:07:42AM +0900, Jonathan Q wrote:

> > hmm.  doesn't mention the BSD license at all, I wonder if that's a loop
> > hole?
>
> The BSD license appears to meet with MS approval (judging by their
> recent public statements on licensing) because it allows you
> to take the code and create a proprietary fork.
>
> The fact that MS would actually create an SDK license that forbids
> you to even distribute your product with Free Software (under the
> FSF definition) or its close relatives, or even use Free Software
> tools to build it says a lot about how scared they are running
> over what has been built around open source in general and the
> GPL in particular.

Hmm.  Japan has started making noises about completely revamping the legal
rules applicable to works that are distributed online.  If Japan shifts to a
sui generis form of IP covering "digital works", the drafting work will start
from a clean slate.  I wouldn't be surprised to see MS trying to line up
government support for a statute that either sidesteps GPL-style arrangements
or makes them impossible.  Certainly one to watch; if Disney can buy a 20-year
extension of rights under the US Copyright Act to protect its dancing rodent,
I shudder to think what MS might fashion out of the legal putty.

Come to think of it, the Japanese Patent Office came out with an initial
position paper on the reforms earlier this week.  I'll have a look at that
this weekend.  I'll report back iff there's anything of interest in this line
in it.

Frank Bennett
Law Faculty
Nagoya U