Re: selecting DB on linux

Darren Cook wrote:

> Lots of postgres supporters here (including me). Aren't there any Oracle
> advocates here to balance things? I've heard Oracle is the best choice
> once you database gets big enough to need more than one machine.

Ive also heard that you have to sell your soul to the devil to learn how to do it. I
dont mean all Oracle DBAs, but thats what I would have to do. :-)

> > I've even setup one customer that uses a cluster of 2 postgres database machines
> > and the performance is awesome. Of course the clustering is done by our
> > software, but postgres plays a big part in the performance.
>
> Can you tell us more about the clustering? Or do you have any URLs on
> clustering postgres?

Postgres itself is setup in the usual way and is identical on both machines. Mojo
does the part of reading and writing to the two machines. Since Im not into Java
dev., I cant explain much more than that.

> If one machine goes down does the database continue working? Or did you
> manually choose to have some tables on one machine, some on the other?

The databases are identical and one keeps the system up if the other goes down. I
dont think the writing is any faster, but read requests are.

asz