From: jwb@example.com [mailto:jwb@example.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2001 5:52 PM
To: tlug@example.com
Subject: RE: Off-Topic Rant on ./, KDE, et al. (was: Re: CD-ROM drive)

Scott Stone <SStone@example.com> in his non-U fashion laboured:

>> no, the spellings aren't anti-american per se, but most of the people
that i
>> know that insist on using the extraneous "U" and such, ARE anti-american.

Well, most people I know use "u" spellings, and very few of them are
anti-American.

When it comes to "insisting" on particular spellings, the most insistent
people I have encountered are Americans. I know from long experience
that when I write an article or paper for an American journal or
magazine, either the editors will delete the `u's, change the centres to
centers, etc. or they will return the draft with instructions on how it
*must* be spelt. Even proper nouns have to be changed.

We usually, as a matter of courtesy, print material by Americans as they
wrote it, but that process is rarely reciprocated.

Jim
--
Jim Breen  [jwb@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Visiting Professor, Institute for the Study of Languages and Cultures of

Next Nomikai Meeting:    Fri, June 15 19:30-  Tengu Tokyo Eki-Mae
Next Technical Meeting:  Sat, July 14 13:30-