Re: ftp using Netscape 4.7

Shimpei Yamashita wrote:

> [snip]
> 2) Resume downloads. Some Real FTP Clients let you resume downloads after
> you get cut off. I can't think of any reason why Netscape can't let you do
> this, but it doesn't; and this feature isn't a luxury when you have to
> download a 600MB ISO image over a modem line and you get cut off after 595MB.
> [snip]

Interesting. I think (note, "think") I have seen Netscape do just this.
always beleived the problem here is more at the transmitter end. And
also that this feature is sort of non-standard in some way.

> Those are *fundamental* features for FTP programs. I haven't even started
> talking about nice gadgets like filename completion, date-sensitive downloads,
> connection retries, scripting, etc., etc. I do use Netscape when a web page
> contains an ftp:/// URL, but even then, it's often easier to paste the URL
> onto a term window and browse through the FTP site using Real FTP Clients
> like ncftp.

Filename completion is hardly interesting in a point-and-click
environment
and scripting is also something you choose not to do.

And by the way, come to think of it it is often not obvious if it is
ftp or http that is used to download a file. I usually don't care enough
to worry about it. Just want/need the file and the main advantage for
Netscape
(or any other browser) is that you don't have to worry about it. (But I
am
pretty sure http does not provide "resume download").

Anyway, you are of course right. I am sure there are better ftp clients
than Netscape. My only real point was that it is usually good enough. At
least for lazy people like me.

/Fredric Fredricson